Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Raith Rovers

Raith Rovers 0Cowdenbeath FC 1

Date: 24th July 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: MG Alba Cup - 1st Round Referee: Frank McDermott
Venue: Stark's Park Attendance: 1564
Man of the Match: Mark Baxter

New Cowden boss Jimmy Nicholl made a happy return to his old stomping ground as Cowden got their official campaign off to a winning start to progress into the second round of the MGAlba Challenge Cup.

After the summer departures it was a new look side which took to the field with both Colin Cameron and Marc McKenzie making their debuts for the club while Kenny Adamson clocked up his 100th appearance.

After a few chances for both sides in the opening period of the game we looked to have taken the lead in 22 minutes when keeper McGurn fumbled a Dempster shot and the ball appeared to have fallen over the line but referee McDermott waved play on.

As the first half drew to a close Linton shot wide while former Central Parker McBride shot across the face of Hay’s goal.

The deadlock was broken however after 58 minutes. A shot from McKenzie was turned around the post by McGurn and Linton’s corner was only cleared as far as John ARMSTRONG who fired a low shot home from 12 yards.

Linton then headed wide while McBride saw a header land on the roof of the net. As Cowden went in search of a killer second goal Cameron fired in a 25 yard shot which was blocked by the keeper.

The home side then had a good chance of an equaliser with 20 minutes to go when Williamson sent in a free kick which Davidson headed past the post.

As the clock wound down debut boy McKenzie broke through the home defence but McGurn held his shot.

After the match John Armstrong was presented the Alba Man of the Match by former Cowden hero Mark Yardley who was reporting on the game for the Press Association.

The draw for the second round will take place on Tuesday afternoon at Hampden Park at 2.30 p.m.

Jimmy Nicholl spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"I was looking for an indication of how we are going to do this year and was pleased with the display.

"It was only 90 minutes but the quality they showed and determination to win the game was great.The fitness levels are also very good which is credit to the players and the coaching staff.

"There were a few things that I was not happy with from the pre-season games but they took that on board and there wasn't a department I wasn't happy with today. There is still a lot to do and to learn but can't fault the commitment or determination.

"It was great to see the support out in numbers today so it was good to get a win for them."

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC