Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Brechin City

Brechin City 0Cowdenbeath FC 3

Date: 16th May 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Alan Muir
Venue: Glebe Park Attendance: 1627

After a 17 year gap we made a return to the First Division after a three goal first half blitz before GlebePark’s biggest crowd of the season.

After the midweek stalemate at Central Park there was one change to the Cowden line up with Scott Linton taking over from the suspended Kenny Adamson.

City were the first to threaten when after just four minutes King saw an angled ten yard shot come off the bar.

Three minutes later it was Cowden’s turn to hit the woodwork when a Linton throw fell to Wardlaw who saw his shot blocked before McQuade fired an 18 yard shot off the bar.

The deadlock however was finally broken in the 17th minute when a corner from McBride was met by Joe MBU whose header from 12 yards squeezed in at the far post to the delight of the huge travelling support.

Eight minutes later we doubled outr advantage when McBride took a pass from Winter and sent a cross over from the left wing which was met by McQuade who saw his header parried by keeper Scott but Gareth WARDLAW was on hand to nod the ball home from six yards.

Vallers header wide just short of the half hour and then Hay dived to turn a fierce 20 yard effort from Byers round his post as the hosts looked to get back into the game.

A minute from the break Scott blocked a Fairbairn drive but three minutes into added time WARDLAW got his second goal of the afternoon to seal Cowden’s return to the second tier of Scottish football.

Linton sent over a cross from the left and the big striker rose above the City defence to head home from deep inside the six yard box.

After losing a three goal lead on their last visit to the Angus ground Cowden opened the second period looking for a fourth goal and a McBride corner saw an Armstrong shot blocked with McGregor firing the rebound over.

Brechin’s best change to pull a goal back came after 58 minutes when a header from King set up McAllister who rounded Hay but saw his shot hit the side netting.

Dempster then saw a 16 yard volley fly just over before a fiece drive from Linton was blocked by Scott.

The game drew to a close knowing that Cowden had done enough with the homesters comtemplating another year in the second division and as referee Muir blew his whistle the Glebe Park pitch was invaded by celebrating Cowden fans.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC