Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Brechin City 0

Date: 12th May 2010 Kick off: 8:45pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Stephen Finnie
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 1119
Man of the Match:

A defensive performance from the visitors saw the first leg of the play off final end goal less before the BBC ALBA TV cameras and Central Park’s biggest crowd of the season.

After losing seven goals in the two meetings between the sides a few weeks earlier City boss Jim Duffy would have been happy to see a blank score line leaving it all to play for in the second leg.

The game opened with Wardlaw sending a shot over the visitors bar from just inside the box while both Fairbairn and McBride sent over inviting crosses but there were no takers. Adamson, playing his last game of the season before a suspension, then saw a shot from the edge of the box go over.

It took the visitors 24 minutes to get a worthwhile shot when King shot wide then Fusco saw a low drive deflect off McGregor for a corner.

As the first half drew to a close McQuade sent in a fierce right foot shot which Nelson saved at full stretch.

Brechin opened the second period in a more positive fashion and Canning came close with an 18 yard short while a timely intervension from Baxter stopped McAlliser in his tracks.

McAllister then forced the ball along the Cowden goal-line only to find Joe Mbu lying handy to clear.

At the other end McQuade set up Wardlaw ten yards out but he shot just wide and soon after a cross from McBride was almost turned into his own net by Docherty.

In 70 minutes King set up McAllister who was clean through but a poor first touch saw the ball roll into the hands of Hay.

The closing period saw Cowden dominate as they looked for a breakthrough and replacement keeper Scott made a fine save from a McGreor header while Wardlaw blazed the ball over after a knockdown from Dempster.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Brechin City