Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Stenhousemuir 1

Date: 15th December 2009 Kick off: 7:45pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: George Salmond
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 264

A late goal from super sub Paul McQuade saw us extend our unbeaten league run to ten games as we moved two points clear at the top of the table.

There were two enforced changes to the side which had won at Peterhead with both John Armstrong and Craig Winter failing fitness tests.

Mark Baxter returned to make his first start since the end of August along with Jay Stein.

The visitors opened the game in lively fashion and had three chances on the Cowden goal in the opening nine minutes.

Molloy sent a lob over Hay from the edge of the box after just five minutes but his effort drifted wide.

Hay then did well to cut out a Motion cross with former Central Parker Dalziel ready to pounce.

Another former Cowden man Scullion then sent in a 25 yard drive which was saved by the keeper.

The Warriors eventually opened the scoring after 21 minutes when Bradley raced into the box before firing a shot which Hay blocked but the ball fell to Scott DALZIEL who fired a low shot into the net from 12 yards.

Their joy was short lived however as we grabbed an equaliser two minutes later. McBride cut the ball back to Robertson whose shot from 14 yards was turned into the net by Brian FAIRBAIRN from point blank range.

The visitors protested that Fairbairn was offside but their appeals were waved aside by referee Salmond.

Early in the second half Scullion had a good chance to grab an equaliser but his effort from the edge of the box went wide of the target with only Hay to beat.

With 68 minutes on the clock we were reduced to ten men when Adamson received a straight red card after lashing out at Iain Thomson on the half way line.

The ten men however battled on gallantly and were rewarded with 14 minutes to go when McBride set up Paul McQUADE who got away from his marker to round keeper McLuskey and shoot into the net from six yards.

Danny Lennon spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"That was a great result even if the performance was not up to the usual high standard.

"We have shown that we can play very attractive football but sometimes it does not go for you and you have to be able to grind out a result. Good teams are able to do that and credit to the boys for showing the character and determination required.

"We were missing three key players and then had to contend with going down to ten men but I was delighted with the way the team reacted. I have mentioned the team spirit we have within the squad many times and you could see again how much these guys play for each other and the jersey.

"Another plus for the night was seeing Mark Baxter get 90 minutes under his belt for the first team.

"I was very disappointed with the sending off though. Kenny lost his cool but to be fair to him he knew that he had let himself and his team mates down and apologised after the game. The matter will be dealt with internally and we now move on. Kenny is a big player for us but unfortunately he will now miss a number of games."

No gallery images are available for this match.