Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Clyde 2Cowdenbeath FC 0

Date: 4th August 2018 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 2 Referee: Duncan Smith
Venue: Fountain of Youth Stadium Attendance: 569

Two goals in a three minute period in the first half saw the Bully Wee run out winners in the opening league game of the season.

There were two changes to the side which had went down to Hearts with Sheerin, Renton and in the starting line up with Miller dropping to the bench while Scott served his suspension after being sent off at Tynecastle.

The opening minute saw Renton head the ball onto Sheerin who was nudged in the back but the subsequent penalty claim was waived aside and play went on.

Minutes later shots from Love and McStay were blocked by the Cowden defence while McGurn tipped a 20 yard shot from Goodwillie over the bar.

However with 25 minutes gone the home side took the lead when Stewart sent a free kick into the box and Martin McNIFF got to the ball before the advancing McGurn to head his side into the lead.

Things got worse three minutes later when McStay was pulled back in the box by Marsh and David GOODWILLIE sent McGurn the wrong way with the resultant spot kick.

As the first half drew to a close both Goodwillie and Love sent shots wide of the post and on the stroke of half time Marsh deflected another Goodwillie effort at the expense of a corner.

The second half opened with Buchanan sending an inviting cross into the home box but Smith failed to connect.

Just short of the hour Goodwillie sent an angled shot over while the next few minutes saw home keeper Currie pull off two good saves to deny us a chance to get back into the game.

Firstly Miller, who had just replaced Renton, sent the ball through to Sheerin with the keeper turning his shot around the post and then two minutes later he parried another shot from Buchanan. A frantic few minutes then saw another effort from Smith blocked by a defender.

Sheerin then found himself in the referee’s book after he went down in the box and his penalty claims were dismissed.

Buchanan then seen another effort blocked by Currie while with a 11 minutes to go a shot from Goodwillie went across the face of the goal and bounced off the post.

Then deep into stoppage time a free kick from Stewart was tipped over the bar by McGurn.

TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, Talbot (Swann 73), Pyper, Marsh, Malcolm, Cox, Buchanan, Sheerin, Renton (Miller 59) & Smith. Subs not used – Goodfellow, Fotheringham, Scullion & Kay.

Booked: Marsh (28), Talbot (29), Renton (31), Sheerin (63).

CLYDE: Currie, Cuddihy, Stewart, Rumsby, McNiff, Grant, Rankin, McStay, Goodwillie, Lamont (Boyle 86) & Love (Cogill 90). Subs not used – Hughes, Millar & Gorman.

Goals: McNiff (25), Goodwillie (28).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC