Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Raith Rovers 1

Date: 3rd September 2009 Kick off: 8:45pm
Competition: Fife Cup Referee: Craig Charleston
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 185

Cowden progressed into the final of the Fife Cup after winning a dramatic penalty shoot out 4-3 at a rain lashed Central Park with Canadian keeper Cameron McKay saving James Drummond's spot kickon his debut for the club to clinch the tie.

Mark Ramsay, Scott McBride, John Ferguson and Craig Winter were on target in the shoot out for Cowden with Jamie Mackie, Mark Ferry and Robert Sloan successful for the Rovers while sub Tom Graham blasted his effort high over the bar.

Danny Lennon used the game to give both Jay Shields and Mark Ramsay a run out as they hit the comeback trail after injury, while Craig Winter also lined up against his old side to get some extra match practise.

His Kirkcaldy counterpart John McGlynn took the opportunity to give Robert Sloan a game after being sidelined with injury along with recent signing Damian Casalinouvo, who recently joined the Starks Park side on loan from Dundee United and scored the winning goal against Dunfermline last Saturday.

After the constant rain it was a credit to the Central Park ground staff that the game took place with Cowden having the better of the opening period.

Ferguson was first to test former Cowden goalie Gary O'Connor after just six minutes when he sent in a header at the back post from a Robertson corner which the custodian safely gathered.

O'Connor was once again called into action when Wallace fired in a low 20 yard shot and soon after McBride sent another long range effort just wide of the post.

Casalinouvo had a good chance to break the deadlock for the visitors after 20 minutes but fired over the bar from eight yards after being set up by Bryce and a minute later Whatley passed up another good chance when he headed just wide from a Brown cross.

McBride then tested O'Connor with another long ranger which the keeper safely gathered. Just short of the half hour O'Connor let the ball slip from his grasp and McBride played the ball back to Ferguson who shot wide from eight yards.

Wallace then againtried his luck from a distance but wasdenied once moreby the keeper. At the other end Sloan fired a 20 yarder over the bar.

As the interval loomed Raith took the lead in the 43rd minute when Mark FERRY fired in a low 20 yard shot through a crowded goalmouth to beat McKay.

Nine minutes into the second half Ferguson found himself through on goal but O'Connor managed to block his shot and minutes later the youngster fired a 25 yarder just over the bar.

The Rovers however started to come more into the game and McKay did well to deny Casinuovo and just after the hour mark the keeper saved a curling free kick from Sloan. Minutes later Robertson did well to block an angled shot from Mackie as the visitors looked for a killer second goal.

Bryce then found himself through on the Cowden goal but Bradley did well to intercept the ball and clear the danger. Graham then had a good opportunity when the ball fell from McKay's grasp but the sub shot wide of the post.

As the game drew to a close Ferguson was denied by Wedderburn who made a good interception while at the other end McKay blocked a Bryce shot.

In the closing minute Cowden got a dramatic equaliser when Scott LINTON lashed a powerful shot past O'Connor from the edge of the box to set up the penalty shoot out.

Cowden will now meet either East Fife, Burntisland Shipyard or Dunfermline Athletic in the final which will be played at Central Park later in the season.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Raith Rovers