Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Arbroath 1

Date: 28th November 2015 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 1 Referee: Mr Brian Colvin
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 409

Craig Johnston’s first ever goal for the first team couldn’t have come at a better moment keeping our William Hill Scottish Cup hopes alive for another week.
After two away day defeats there were a few chances to the side which had went down to a narrow defeat in Coatbridge the previous Tuesday.
Dean Brett and Liam Callaghan were restored to the starting XI with Pat Scullion and Declan Hughes dropping to the bench.
The visitors opened the game brightly with both Linn and Whatley coming close and in 19 minutes they threatened once more when a Linn free kick was dropped by Sneddon but the keeper managed to hold Rutherford’s resultant shot.
Soon after, Sneddon done well to block a shot from Ramsay, while at the other end Kerr sent a ball into the Arbroath box but Spence just failed to connect.
Just short of the half hour a free kick from Brett was cleared away as far as the edge of the box and keeper Fleming done well to tip a blistering shot from Murdoch over the bar.
Smith then sent a 20 yard drive just wide of the post while a timely tackle from Kerr Stopped Linn making headway in the Cowden box.
As the first half drew to a close Brett sent a shot from the edge of the box just over while Rutherford done likewise from six yards.
Both sides remained unchanged for the start of the second half which saw the skies open and credit is due to both sets of players for an entertaining second 45 minutes which was played out in atrocious conditions, whilst it’s also to groundsman Stuart Lownie that the pitch held up.
With 52 minutes gone the ever dangerous Linn made a run down the wing but his cross was smothered by Sneddon at the feet of Gold.
Three minutes later however the visitors took the lead when a free kick from Ramsay was punched away by Sneddon and the ball was picked up by Mark WHATLEY who fired home a low shot from just inside the box.
In 73 minutes the score was level, Watson appeared to handle the ball in the box as Smith tried to work his way past the defender but our penalty claims were waived aside and the ball eventually fell to Donaldson who played the ball back into the box for Craig JOHNSTON to head home from 12 yards.
Two minutes later we were unfortunate not to take the lead when a shot from Miller came off the bar.
At the other end with 11 minutes to go Whatley sent Linn through on goal but the alert Sneddon cleared the danger.
The drama continued and Adamson sent the ball over the bar from a good position and soon after Smith appeared to be fouled on the edge of the visitor’s box by Lodon the ensuing breakaway saw Linn clean through on the Cowden goal but he sent his shot high over the bar.
TEAM: Jamie Sneddon, Brad Donaldson, Fraser Kerr, Aldin El Zubaidi, Kenny Adamson, Dean Brett (Chris Kane 65), Kyle Miller, Andy Murdoch, Liam Callaghan (Craig Johnston 65), Gordon Smith & Greig Spence. Subs not used – Shaun Hunter, Pat Scullion, Declan Hughes, Sam Orritt & Luke Armstrong.
Goal: Johnston (73).
Booking: Adamson (45).
ARBROATH: Allan Fleming, Craig Wilson, Jordan Lowdon, Ricky Little, Andy Munro, Mark Whatley, Bobby Linn, David Gold (Jamie Clarke 83), Greg Rutherford, Craig Watson & Darren Ramsay. Subs not used – Calum Brodie, Martin Grehan, Jamie Reid, Kieran McWalter & Kane Hester.
Goal: Rutherford (55).

No gallery images are available for this match.