Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Brechin City

Brechin City 2Cowdenbeath FC 0

Date: 26th September 2015 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 1 Referee: Mr Gavin Ross
Venue: Glebe Park Attendance: 408

Our poor form on the road continued at Glebe Park as we went down to two second half goals against bottom of the table City.
There was one change to the side which had beaten former league leaders Forfar with Robbie Buchanan coming back into the starting line up with Andy Murdoch side lined due to injury.
City had been boosted with their first win of the season at Peterhead the previous week and started strongly although they were thwarted by the Cowden offside trap in the early stages.
Our first chance of the afternoon came in five minutes when a long ball by Adamson found Spence whose shot was blocked by Bates and Smith’s follow up was blocked by his namesake in the Brechin goal.
Minutes later Orritt sent a 25 yard drive just over the home crossbar while at the other end free kicks by Dyer into the Cowden box saw a Shields header cleared by the defence while a shot by McLean went wide.
With 19 minutes gone a backward header by Scullion was intercepted by former Central Parker Shields but his shot was saved by Sneddon.
Ten minutes from the break a 20 yard free kick by Miller was saved by Smith and minutes later Thomson tried a cheeky flick at the near post but his effort was stopped by the alert Sneddon, then a low 17 yard drive by Jackson was saved by the diving keeper at the post.
Then minutes’ later player/manager Dods saw a close range shot come off the Cowden bar following a corner from Tiffoney after his initial header had been blocked.
The deadlock was however broken four minutes into the second half when Sneddon failed to connect to a long ball into the box by Thomson and McLean flicked the ball onto David BATES who scored his first City goal from close range.
City almost went two goals ahead minutes later when Sneddon parried a Thomson shot into the path of Shields but his follow up shot was cleared.
As the hour mark approached Shieds sent a shot over the bar and seconds later Sneddon saved from Jackson as the home side looked to increase their advantage.
The second goal did eventually come in 64 minutes when Sneddon lost possession to Jonathan TIFFONEY after clearing from the in rushing Thomson and the former Alloa man slotted home despite Scullion’s best efforts to clear the ball off the line.
With 72 minutes gone we almost lost a third goal when Tiffoney sent a cross into the box and Thomson’s header came off the bar.
Brett then sent an inviting cross into the City box but Armstrong’s shot was saved by the diving Smith.
With eight minutes to go we almost pulled a goal back when a Johnston header from a corner was cleared off the line.
A minute later we were awarded a penalty when Buchanan was brought down in the box by Johnstone but his resultant spot kick was saved by Smith.
Things then got worse when Brett was red carded for a second yellow card after fouling Johnstone on the far touchline.
TEAM: Jamie Sneddon, Dean Brett, Kenny Adamson, Pat Scullion, Alden El Zubaidi, Declan Hughes, Gordon Smith, Kyle Miller (Craig Johnston 57), Greig Spence (Luke Armstrong 51), Robbie Buchanan & Sam Orritt (Liam Callaghan 68). Subs not used – Shaun Hunter, John Armstrong, Chris Kane & Mo Yaqub.
Booking: Brett (78).
Sent off: Brett (85).
BRECHIN CITY: Graeme Smith, Paul McLean, Willie Dyer, Darren Dods, David Bates, Gary Fusco, Jonathan Tiffoney (Darren McCormack 73), Craig Molloy (Euan Smith 56), Andy Jackson, Robert Thomson (Craig Johnstone 74) & Dene Shields. Subs not used – David Weatherston, Ross Perry, Jamie Montgomery & Paddy O’Neill.
Goals: Bates (49), Tiffoney (64).
Bookings: Molloy (43), Bates (63), Tiffoney (66).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC