Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Airdrieonians 3Cowdenbeath FC 2

Date: 5th September 2015 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ladbrokes League 1 Referee: Mr Colin Steven
Venue: Penny Cars Stadium Attendance: 773

It was another away day defeat, but a more creditable performance at the Excelsior Stadium, where we were unfortunate not to leave with at least a point.
There were six changes to the side which had lost at Stenhousemuir. Michael Andrews had left the club in midweek, Kenny Adamson was injured and John Armstrong started his suspension while Kyle Miller and Chris Kane dropped to the bench with manager Colin Nish opting to watch things from the side lines.
Jamie Sneddon came in for his league debut along with Mo Yaqub, Declan Hughes, Gordon Smith and Craig Johnston while Andy Murdoch made his debut following his midweek move from Rangers.
Johnston fired in a shot in the opening minute which was easily held by keeper Parry and four minutes later a free kick by Murdoch was headed just over the bar by El Zubaidi.
Minutes later Yaqub fired the ball across the face of the home goal but no one was able to take advantage.
With nine minutes gone Sneddon was called into action for the first time and made a fine double save from Cox, and soon after he held onto a 16 yard shot from Brown.
In 26 minutes Buchanan was denied by Parry in the home goal and two minutes later at the other end O’Neill sent over a cross to Prunty but Sneddon held his shot.
The deadlock was however broken on the half hour when Brown sent a ball to David COX who sent an angled shot past Sneddon.
Four minutes from the break we got a deserved equaliser when Robbie BUCHANAN was brought down in the box as he tried to weave past Smith and O’Neill, and the Hearts youngster picked himself up to slot home his first league goal.
Two minutes into the second half we were denied a second spot kick when a Smith shot came off Crighton but play was waved on.
However we did take the lead with 58 minutes gone when a good run by Yaqub saw him send over a cross at the back post for Andy MURDOCH to fire home.
With 13 minutes to go the Diamonds drew level when a 20 yard angled shot from sub George HUNTER flew into the top corner of the net.
Four minutes later things got worse when Morgan sent a cross field ball to Hunter on the right wing and he passed the ball to Liam WATT who slotted home the winner.
TEAM: Jamie Sneddon, Dean Brett, Mo Yaqub, Pat Scullion, Aldin El Zubaidi, Declan Hughes (Luke Armstrong 83), Gordon Smith, Andy Murdoch, Greig Spence, Robbie Buchanan & Craig Johnston (Sam Orritt 86). Subs not used – Shaun Hunter, Brad Donaldson, Chris Kane, Kyle Miller & Liam Callaghan.
Goals: Buchanan (41), Murdoch (58).
Bookings: El Zubaidi (17), Smith (63), Scullion (90+3), Brett (90+4).
AIRDRIEONIANS: Neil Parry, David Van Zanten (Jamie Bain 38), Chris O’Neill, Scott Smith, Sean Crighton, Alan Lithgow, Caolin McAleer (George Hunter 66), Adam Brown, Bryan Prunty (Taylor Morgan 65), David Cox & Liam Watt. Subs not used – Rohan Ferguson, Nicholas Sumsky, Scott Stewart & Dean Cairns.
Goals: Cox (30), Hunter (77), Watt (81).
Booking: Cox (69).

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC