Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Dumbarton 2Cowdenbeath FC 1

Date: 23rd January 2010 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: The Stadium Attendance: 659
Man of the Match:

A second half comeback by the hosts saw our unbeaten league run come to an end at the Rock.

There were two changes to the starting line up which had drawn at Methil the previous week with Dene Droudge replacing the injured Joe Mbu while Mark Ramsay also came into the side with Scott McBride dropping to the bench. Darren McGregor made his long-awaited comeback from injury to make his first appearance from the bench.

In a game of two halves Cowden dominated the opening 45 minutes but only had a one goal lead to show for their superiority.

McQuade, Robertson and Droudge had good chances to break the deadlock in the opening minutes and the first 20 minutes or so saw six Cowden corner kicks as we lay siege on the Sons goal.

The deadlock was finally broken after 29 minutes when Mark BAXTER scrambled the ball home from close range followig a Ramsay cross.

Eight minutes later we were handled a blow when Wardlaw, who had suffered flu in the build up to the game, had to come off and was replaced by McBride who was looking to add to his two goals from his last visit to Dumbarton.

Fairbairn came close to doubling our advantage when his shot clipped the top of the home crossbar.

The Sons however grabbed an equaliser with another scrappy goal after 65 minutes when a cross from Murray was met by Carcarry who saw his header crash off the post with Roddy HUNTER on hand to bundle the ball over the line with his thigh.

As it looked like we had weathered the Sons storm to pick up a point the home side clinched the points with just a minute to go when Brannan sent over a cross on the bye line to fellow substitute Ross CLARK who swept the ball home from close range.

Analysis to follow.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Cowdenbeath FC