Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Blyth Spartans

Blyth Spartans 1Cowdenbeath FC 4

Date: 12th July 2014 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Friendly Referee:
Venue: Croft Park Attendance:


Saturday 12th July 2014. Pre- Season Friendly, crowd – 266.

After losing 2-1 to Partick Thistle and beating a young Celtic side 4-1 in closed door games we made our first public appearance of the season at a sunny Croft Park.

Jimmy Nicholl took a 19 man squad south for the match with the Evo Stik Premier League side including two trialist forwards.

The home side had the best of the early chances and with only three minutes gone Rivers set up Maguire who sent his curling shot just wide of Flynn’s far post.

Soon after Sayer set up one of the Spartans trialists who fired a 25 yard shot just over the bar.

At the other end Wedderburn set up one of the trialists in the home box but his shot was held by keeper Jones.

The home side had the ball in the net with 34 minutes gone but Darren Maguire was in an offside position when he picked up Dale’s through ball.

However four minutes later they eventually took the lead when Robbie DALE played a one-two with Maguire which allowed him to get into a dangerous positon and after turning Brownlie he coolly slotted the ball past Flynn.

The home side made wholesale changes to their line up for the second half with nine new players while Jimmy Nicholl made three changes.

Young Craig Johnston was one of the three changes in the Cowden line up and the striker almost made an immediate impact but his shot was saved by the keeper.

On the hour mark replacement keeper Robbie Thomson had to be at his best to deny Wearmouth who headed towards goal at point blank range.

Soon after a Brett sent over an inviting cross but Craig JOHNSTON just failed to connect, however in 67 minutes Milne set the youngster up to slot the ball home from seven yards.

Minutes later a home defender slipped and Callaghan took advantage to race in on goal but his lob went just over the bar.

With 15 minutes remaining Cowden went ahead when skipper John ARMSTRONG headed home from a corner.

We then went further ahead in 83 minutes when Lewis MILNE fired home a low shot from just inside the box and with two minutes remaining JOHNSTON completed a fine second half performance when he rolled the ball home from ten yards.

TEAM: Thomas Flynn (Robbie Thomson 46), Kyle Miller (Craig Johnston 46), Kenny Adamson (Iain Campbell 46), Darren Brownlie (Thomas O’Brien 46), John Armstrong, Nat Wedderburn, Jon Robertson, Lewis Milne (Craig Brand 88), Trialist (Dean Brett 40), Trialist (Liam Callaghan 64) & Sammy Stewart (Chris Kane 64).

BLYTH SPARTANS: Trialist, Trialist, Parker, Buddle, Watson, Sayer, Horner, Wade, Rivers, Dale, Maguire Subs (all used): Harrison, Trialist, Trialist, Cummings, Hooks, Robinson, Trialist, Moore & Wearmouth.

REFEREE: Mr Scott Duncan.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC