Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1St. Mirren 4

Date: 22nd July 2014 Kick off: 7:45pm
Competition: Friendly Referee:
Venue: Central Park Attendance:


Tuesday 22nd July 2014. Pre-Season Friendly Match. Crowd – 363.
A Much changed Cowden side was swept aside after the interval by the Premiership team in the final warm up game on Tuesday night.
Everything went pretty well in the first-half when the home side took a lead in only five minutes and then created a series of good chances. Saints were also enterprising and it was a really good competitive open first 45 minutes.
But the dreaded mass substitutions at the break, which are a feature of friendlies these days, changed the whole pattern of the game and we ended up well beaten.
In the first minute Saints threatened when Brown tried his luck with a 22 yarder and home keeper Flynn dived at full stretch to knock the ball out for a corner.
But in five minutes the home side took the lead. Milne and Adamson combined to set up trialist Craig SUTHERLAND who fired a left foot shot into the net off the underside the bar. Then the big striker got away from his marker and his effort was deflected narrowly wide. Saints were good on the ball and forced a series of corners but the hosts kept them out, although McLean forced a brilliant Flynn save with a 25 yard piledriver but almost instantly at the other end Cowden’s Higgins fed the Trialist unmarked six yards out but the diving Ridgers defied him.
But in 18 minutes the Premiership side were level when Wylde’ cross was perfect for Jason NAISMITH to bullet a 10 yard header past the ‘keeper.
Then on the interval whistle Saints took the lead when Kenny McLEAN'S 18 yard first time left foot shot from Wylde’s cross flew low into the corner of the net.
Cowden made nine changes at the interval and Saints just the one and the substitutions saw the hosts lose their free-flowing style with the game seeing few chances, but in 66 minutes St Mirren went 3-1 up when a neat move by the visitors saw Darren BROWNLIE blast the ball into his own net trying to clear a Thomas Reilly cross.
The fourth came with 12 minutes left when Reilly’s low cross was perfect for James MARWOOD to shoot home from seven yards out as the visitors dominated.
TEAM: Thomas Flynn; Dean Brett (Jack Wright 46), Kenny Adamson (Iain Campbell 46); Thomas O’Brien (Darren Brownlie 46), John Armstrong (Chris Kane 46), Nat Wedderburn (Aaron Lynas 46); Sammy Stewart (Kyle Miller 46), Lewis Milne (Trialist 46), Trialist (Trialist 61),Sean Higgins (Trialist 46) & Liam Callaghan (Jason Thomson 45). Subs not used – Craig Brand & Robbie Thomson.
ST MIRREN: Mark Ridgers, Mark Williams, Sean Kelly, Marc McAusland, Jason Naismith, Adam Brown, John McGinn, Kenny McLean (Declan Hughes 72), Thomas Reilly, Ross Caldwell (James Marwood 45) & GregWylde. Subs not used – Gary Teale & Marian Kello.
REFEREE: Mr Brian Colvin.

No gallery images are available for this match.

St. Mirren