Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Dunfermline Athletic 3

Date: 27th July 2013 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Ramsdens Cup Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 1161


After reaching the semi-finals last season we made a disappointing early exit from this seasons Ramsdens Cup at the first hurdle against our old West Fife rivals.
The Pars had the first chance of the afternoon within five minutes when Millen sent in a free kick from 20 yards, after Armstrong had fouled Wallace, which struck a home defender.
Three minutes later at the other end Cowan sent in a cross which was headed wide by Russell.
With 12 minutes gone we came close to breaking the deadlock when a fierce left foot volley, from the edge of the box, from Morton crashed off Scully’s right hand post.
But within three minutes we had taken the lead. Morton, Russell and Stewart were involved in the build- up which saw Nat Wedderburn clinically finish from eight yards out.
The Pars hit back and in 22 minutes Falkingham fed Ferguson 20 yards out and his drive hit O’Brien before flying over the bar.
On the half hour Wedderburn threatened again when he latched onto a through ball but stabbed his finish inches wide and soon after Adamson went close when his left foot shot landed on the roof of the net.
But nine minutes from the break the Pars were level when Wallace was tripped by O’Brien and after Millen’s penalty was deflected for a corner by Flynn the full backs flag kick was headed strongly into the net by Callum Morris.
This gave Dunfermline confidence and Wallace twice threatened as the opening period wound down.
Within two minutes of the restart a free kick from Millen was missed by both Thomson and Young but almost crept past Flynn.
Then at the other end a Morton corner was met by Wedderburn who headed inches wide before a Russell cross was nodded just over by Stewart.
Dunfermline rallied though and a header from Kane hit the post. However with 64 minutes gone they took the lead with Kane starting a move which saw Ryan Ferguson burst through the middle of the home defence and after Flynn bravely blocked his first shot he followed up to roll the ball home from eight yards.
Eleven minutes later Morton set up Wedderburn but his ten yard effort was too high.
The clinching goal then came with ten minutes to go when Ryan Thomson appeared to be in an offside position before slotting the ball past Flynn from 14 yards out.
Faced with an uphill battle to get back into the tie we were soon left with nine men when Wedderburn fell awkwardly after a challenge from Dargo and had to leave the field with all three subs having being used and soon after Milne followed him after being red carded for kicking out at Dargo.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Dunfermline Athletic