Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Brechin City 0

Date: 24th October 2009 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: George Salmond
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 337
Man of the Match: Joe Mbu

The divisions ‘game of the day’ saw the status quo at the top of the table remain with a goal less draw played in atrocious weather at Central Park this afternoon with both sides failing to capitalise on leaders Stirling Albion drawing with Clyde at Broadwood.

Danny Lennon was forced to make two changes to the starting line up which had beaten both Peterhead and Arbroath. Keeper David Hay had to sit out the game after receiving a head knock at Gayfield while striker Gareth Wardlaw had to call off due to illness.

Canadian keeper Cameron McKay took over in goals for his full debut with Scott McBride also returning to the starting line up. Skipper Mark Baxter also made the bench after being out for almost two months with a shoulder injury.

Cowden dominated the opening 45 minutes with McBride first to threaten after nine minutes when he burst through the City defence but saw his shot saved by Nelson.

A minute later we had our best chance of the afternoon when McQuade set up Stein who closed in on goal but saw his angled shot go across the face of the goal and inches past the post.

It took City 15 minutes to have their first shot on goal when McAllister fired in a left footed effort which was held by McKay.

Soon after Robertson and Fairbairn combined to set up McQuade but the ball over ran and Nelson gathered.

As the opening period drew to a close an Armstrong header from a Linton cross came off the bar while Nelson did well to save from a Mbu header.

After a slow opening to the second half the game livened up on the hour mark when Fairbairn fired in a cross from the right which was headed just over by McBride and at the other end King found himself with only McKay to beat but he shot wide of the target. Fairbairn then saw a 25 yard free kick drift well over the bar.

Soon after a long defensive clearance was picked up by McQuade who closed in on goal but saw his effort hit the side netting.

Fairbairn then sent a deep cross into the Brechin box but McBride’s header from 12 yards was held by Nelson.

Brechin came more into the game in the closing stages and with 17 minutes to go McAllister sent a shot high over the bar.

Sub Byers then fired a 20 yard effort over as City looked to chalk up only their second away win of the campaign.

With ten minutes to go McKay pulled off a fine save getting a hand to a close range shot from another Brechin sub Renton, the ball fell to Byers who saw his shot cleared by the keeper.

Danny Lennon spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"It was a little disappointing to drop points at home but given the context of missing David Hay and Gareth Wardlaw and the quality that Brechin have in their ranks I suppose it was a decent return. We have now just lost once in our last nine games and that is a fantastic achievement from the boys.

"On the plus side we defended excellently as a team to limit Brechin to very few clear cut chances - I thought John Armstrong and Joe Mbu were superb.

"In an attacking sense, we had some good chances in the 1st half to put the game out of sight but overall too often we did not take the right option with our final ball and did not create the volume of chances we have in recent games. The players have set a very high standard this season and we must look to produce better in an attacking sense."

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Brechin City