Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 5Peterhead 0

Date: 10th October 2009 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 271
Man of the Match:

Five star Cowden completed the first quarter of the league programme with a comprehensive win over Peterhead this afternoon to move into third place.

There was one change to the starting line up which had beaten Stenhousemuir with Paul McQuade taking over from Scott McBride who had been ill in the build up to the match.

After passing up a few early chances Cowden eventually opened the scoring after 24 minutes when Stein fired in a cross from the left wing which was punched away by keeper Bateman into the path of Wardlaw who saw his shot deflected to Paul McQUADE who fired the ball home from nine yards.

Cameron soon fired in a long range shot for the visitors which was held by Hay while McQuade fired just over the bar from the edge of the box.

Eleven minutes from the break the visitors made a change with Stewart replacing Strachan and the substitute soon found himself through on the Cowden goal but his shot from eight yards was saved by Hay.

On 39 minutes Cowden doubled their advantage when a throw in from Linton was picked up by Stein who fired a cross into the visitor’s box which eventually fell to McQUADE who fired home his second goal of the afternoon from ten yards.

Two minutes from the break Stewart came close to reducing the deficit for the Blue Toon when he fired in a curling shot from the edge of the box on the turn which flew just past the post.

Cowden started the second half looking to increase their lead and Wardlaw knocked the ball down to McQuade who saw a 20 yard drive go just wide of the target.

The third goal did however come after 48 minutes when Stein once again sent in a cross which was headed home by Gareth WARDLAW from close range.

We then had numerous chances to increase our advantage Bateman did well to hold a Stein shot and just after the hour pulled off a fantastic save to tip a 25 yard effort from Robertson over the bar.

With ten minutes to go the young keeper was once again called into action when he turned a 22 yard drive from McQuade around the post.

Two goals in the closing seven minutes however put a gloss on a good day. Stein took his goal assists tally to four in 83 minutes when he sent over a corner which eventually fell into the path of Jon ROBERTSON who fired a thunderbolt shot high into the net from 30 yards.

Two minutes later WARDLAW got his second goal of the afternoon when he fired the ball home after a shot from substitute Ferguson rebounded off the post.

Armstrong picked up the only booking of the afternoon early in the second half.

Danny Lennon spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"That was our best display of the season and it's a pleasure to be associated with such an outstanding performance. We produced some excellent football and used our width to great effect. We scored some amazing goals and what was also pleasing was we never let up on them from the first till the last minute.

"The boys deserve great credit for the quality of football on show but just as importantly for their work rate which was tremendous.

"The spirit in the dressing room is the best at anytime during my time at Central Park and they are a great bunch to work with and are a credit to themselves.

"We know how difficult this league is and it wont always go our way but the boys will give 100% for this club and that is all you can ask for.

"There is more to come from this team and we will keep pushing them forward."

Click on the pictures to enlarge.