Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Hibernian 3

Date: 7th January 2012 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Scottish Cup Referee: Bobby Madden
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 2670
Man of the Match:

Despite a strong finish we were unable to force a draw as we crashed out of the William Hill Scottish Cup in a pulsating tie.

Central Park’s biggest crowd of the season saw a dramatic start to the game. We kicked-off and following a short clearance by Hanlon Cameron sent a nice pass through to Greg Stewart who shrugged off O’Hanlon before firing an unstoppable shot past Brown after just 15.8 seconds!

In five minutes we threatened again when Stewart was the provider this time but his pass to Linton was on the winger's weaker right foot and his shot went over from the edge of the box.

Hibs started to win some better quality possession and Leigh Griffiths saw Cameron clear from a promising position but in 17 minutes the former Dundee man levelled the tie.

A slack clearance was picked up by the striker and from 30 yards he sent the ball into the net via the underside of the bar.

This settled the visitors and in 23 minutes Flynn gathered an Eoin Doyle shot but four minutes later he grabbed a second for the Hibees.

The Irishman ended a nice run with a fierce shot which Flynn parried and then beat the keeper to the rebound to turn the ball into the net.

Griffiths was never scared to try his luck from distance and on the half hour his 30 yard free-kick bounced off the top of the crossbar and then he saw Armstrong clear a low shot before, at the other end, Linton's corner fell to Stewart and his shot was just wide.

The second period saw Hibs threaten through Sproule, who worked a good position for himself but then dragged his shot wide.

Then in 50 minutes Hanlon was beaten by Stewart who ran clear but he delayed his finish and Brown raced from his line to make a brave save.

Hibs broke up the park and grabbed a third goal in 55 minutes, when our marking let us down from Galbraith's cross which was met by David Wotherspoon and his header beat Flynn.

We responded by pouring forward and Mark Ramsay made ground before testing Brown and then in 69 minutes Jon Robertson pulled one back with a lovely piece of skill, lobbing the ball over O’Hanlon before Volleying home, after the Hibs cover had been sprung wide open by Stewart.

The captain had a chance to level shortly after when substitute Coult set him up but his fierce shot was too high and then his 25 yard free -kick beat the wall but crept inches wide.

Flynn was a spectator as we went looking for the equaliser but Stewart and Coult were both unable to prize open the Hibs defence for a third time despite finding space in the visitors' box.

No gallery images are available for this match.