Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Clyde 0

Date: 12th September 2009 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Gary Hilland
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 401
Man of the Match:

A goal midway through the first halffrom Jay Stein gaveCowden their first league win of the season at a sunny Central Park.

For the Bully Wee's first league visit to Central Park since March 1992 Danny Lennon made one change to his starting line up from the side which drew at Methilwith Jay Shields taking over fromskipper Mark Baxter who picked up a shoulder injury at his work.

Clyde had keeper Callum Reidford back in goals after he had served a suspension with Marvyn Wilson listed for a second successive game as a trialist.

The first real chance of the afternoon came after just six minutes when Wardlaw was fouled 25 yards out but the resultant free kick from Fairbairn went over the crossbar and a few minutes later Clyde's Odunewu saw a header held by Hay.

McQuade then knocked the ball into the path of Stein who fired in an angled drive from 17 yards which was held by Reidford.

The deciding goal came after 23 minutes when Robertson headed into the path of Jay STEIN who did well to hold the ball before turning to lashit into the top corner from 22 yards with a left foot drive.

Four minutes later we had a great chance to double our advantage when a deep cross from Adamson was met by McQuade who saw his volley tipped over for a corner by the keeper.

In 34 minutes the Bully Wee had a rare shot on the Cowden goal when Willie McLauchlan fired in a low 20 yard free kick which was saved by Hay. Then a few minutes later a long throw in by Halliday fell to Lithgow who fired high over the bar from the edge of the box.

The second half opened with two changes to the visiting side with Lang and McKay replacing Wilson and Odunewu. Lang made an early inpression picking up a booking for a foul within sixty seconds.

With five minutes of the second period gone Wardlaw tried his luck from the edge of the box with a curling shot which was saved by Reidford.

Three minutes later John Brown made his final subsitution of the afternoon bringing on Coakley for Gair and soon afterthe Clyde supporters were in a fury when Mbu clashed with McKay in the box but their shouts for a penalty were in vain.

The Bully Wee thenpicked up another two yellow cards Cassey for dissent and a minute later Lithgow for a foul.

Just short of the hour Fairbairn had another attempt at long range free kick from 25 yards but was denied by the keeper. On 70 minutes the visitors had their best chance of the afternoon to salvage a point when McKay beat Mbu before racing down the right wing before firing over a perfect cross to McLeod who headed wide of the target from a few yards out.

With 14 minutes to go Shields was replaced by youngster McCabe and three minutes later McBride came on for Fairbairn.

As the clock ran down Cowden had a few chances to add to the score in the closing stages with nine minutes to go stand in skipper Winter cracked a 22 yard shot which whistled inches past the post and with four minutes left on the clock Adamson burst through the Clyde defence before sending over a low cross to Ramsay,who had replaced Fairbairn, who shot just past the post.

Although we remain in eighth place other results around the division were in our favour and we now hold a3 point advantage over ninth place Dumbarton who we face in our next game at the Strathclyde Homes Stadium next Saturday.

Danny Lennon spoke to the Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"We did not play as well as we have done in other matches this season but I was delighted to get the first win on board. There were not a lot chances in the game but we kept out shape and more than deserved the three points.

"The effort and commitment from the boys was top notch and it was a great goal from Jay to win the game. We are now unbeaten in our last three league games and will look to build on this run at Dumbarton next week."

Click on the pictures to enlarge.