Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Dundee 3

Date: 18th August 2009 Kick off: 8:30pm
Competition: MG Alba Cup Referee: George Salmond
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 457
Man of the Match:

First Division Dundee proved too strong in the end for Cowden as we crashed out of the ALBA Challenge Cup at the second hurdle. It was only in the closing stages however that Jocky Scott’s big spending side ensured their place in the last eight.

There were two changes to the side which had lost at Glebe Park with Kenny Adamson and Dene Droudge returning to the defence following their suspensions with Peter Bradley and Scott Linton dropping out of the starting line up. Dundee, with former Cowden captain Paul McHale in their line up, had the luxury of top scorer and 150,000 summer signing Gary Harkins on the bench.

Cowden had a good chance to open the scoring after 11 minutes when McQuade played a one-two with Wardlaw inside the visitor’s box but eventually McQuade’s left foot shot was blocked by Bullock.

The Dee however opened the scoring seven minutes later, Fairbairn fouled Kerr and from the resultant free kick by McHale Cowan almost got a touch but the ball fell to Leigh Griffiths (Goal, 18 mins) who stabbed the ball into the net.

Soon after Fairbairn whipped the ball across the Dundee goal evading Bullock but unfortunately for us there was no takers.

On the half hour Griffiths fed the ball to Antoine-Curier but Hay stood his ground and forced the French striker wide and his shot went past the post.

Seven minutes into the second half the ever dangerous Griffiths drove in from the right wing but his shot was stopped by a magnificent save from Hay, the ball broke back to the striker but his second shot was cleared off the line by Robertson. Three minutes later Griffiths had another pop at goal but his shot came back off the right hand post.

At the other end Kenny Adamson almost grabbed an equaliser when he fired in a looping shot from 30 yards which Bullock did well to tip over the bar.

With eight minutes remaining Dundee doubled their advantage when Gary Harkins (Goal, 82 mins), who had replaced McHale, fired home a low 30 yard drive which flew into the bottom right hand corner of the Cowden net, and with two minutes to go Harkins turned provider for Mickael Antoine-Curier (Goal, 88 mins) who headed home a flattering third goal for the Dee.

Click on the pictures to enlarge.