Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Brechin City 0

Date: 25th February 2012 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Charlie Richmond
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 332
Man of the Match: Joe Mbu

A last gasp injury time goal from Derek Lyle gave us a deserved win which kept us at the top of the table for the 19th successive week.
There was one change to the starting line up which had drawn at Stirling in midweek with Greg Stewart replacing Lewis Coult who had picked up an ear injury in the 1-1 draw.
Despite opening strongly our first real chance came after 11 minutes when Robertson's pass gave Ramsay a clear view of the 'keeper but a brave challenge by Buist blocked his shot.
Five minutes later McKenzie's corner was met by Robertson but his header went wide and almost immediately at the other end McManus got clear of the Cowden defence but as Flynn came off his line the striker blasted well wide.
With 22 minutes gone we had our best chance of the first period when Adamson raced down the left and his cut-back gave Stewart a sight of Nelson and the keeper had to dive to keep the ball out.
City were causing little danger and on the half hour another McKenzie corner saw firstly Mbu's shot blocked and then Stewart, following up, saw his effort suffer the same fate.
Goalless at the break we came out for the second period more determined and in 50 minutes McKenzie's corner saw Robertson rise at the far post and his header hit McLean before going wide.
But in 55 minutes there was a warning for us when Flynn made a hash of clearing a pass-back and his low effort went straight to David McKenna 25 yards out, but with the keeper stranded he fired well wide.
On the hour Armstrong's header across the face of the City goal went to Stewart but his shot hit Brady in the face virtually on the line and then in 70 minutes Lyle's first time shot from a McKenzie cross went narrowly past the post.
As time went on it was all Cowden and Adamson's left foot drive was held by the diving Nelson and then with four minutes left Lyle's header hit Brady in the heart of the six hard box.
Then as the game went into time added on Lyle saw his shot brilliantly saved by Nelson but soon after a corner from substitute Liam Cusack went to Stewart who hit the ball firmly across the face of the six yard box where Derek Lyle was waiting to turn it into the net with his hip!
His celebrations saw him booked but nobody was caring, and the referee blew for full-time when the game re-started.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Brechin City