Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 0Arbroath 0

Date: 10th December 2011 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Brian Winter
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 437
Man of the Match: Joe Mbu

The battle of the top two saw both sides fail to break the deadlock at a snowy Central Park with the game only going ahead thanks to the efforts of a band on 30+ supporters and youth players who cleared the pitch following an overnight snow fall.

There were two changes to the side which had drawn at Cliftonhill with Thomas O’Brien and Marc McKenzie returning to the starting line up with John Armstrong and Kal Naismith dropping to the bench.

The Red Lichties started strongly and in three minutes Caddis burst through and his 25 yard shot clipped the bar and then two minutes later Swankie's curling right foot shot from 22 yards drifted inches wide.

As the visitors continued to press Sibanda found Caddis at the far post and his glanced effort just rolled wide.

We threatened in 11 minutes with a long Linton throw, which was nodded down by Coult to Mbu and his fierce shot from point blank range struck Wedderburn on the arm but referee Winter turned aside claims for a penalty.

In 24 minutes Swankie's curling cross cum shot deceived home 'keeper Flynn and the ball rolled agonisingly past the post.

With 13 minutes to go before the break McKenzie got into a good position 20 yards out but shot well over and then five minutes later he repeated the dose.

In 40 minutes we had a good opening when McKenzie created the chance with a fine pass to Linton but his right foot shot was brilliantly saved by Hill.

No goals at the break but Arbroath would the happier side with their enterprising play posing the leaders problems and in the first 10 minutes of the second period Sibanda saw a low 18 yarder held by Flynn, Falkingham curled a shot just wide and then Malcolm's curling header went just past Flynn's right hand post.

On the hour mark substitute Morton lifted home hopes with a fine run which ended with a shot which Hill held before Falkingham did well to ceate space and time for himself on the edge of the Cowden box but then fired over.

Morton then caught out the Arbroath defence with a good left wing cross which Coult latched onto but his shot from 12 yards went well wide.

Another Coult effort seemed to strike an arm in the Lichties box with five minutes left but again referee Winter waved play on but at the other end Doris brought out a fine save from Flynn with a close in header.

No goals and another close encounter between the Second Division's leading sides.

No gallery images are available for this match.