Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Dumbarton 0Cowdenbeath FC 4

Date: 17th September 2011 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Mike Tumilty
Venue: The Stadium Attendance: 615
Man of the Match: Marc McKenzie

We consolidated second top spot with a comprehensive win over the Sons at the Strathclyde Homes Stadium.

Colin Cameron made two changes to the side which won the Fife derby with Thomas Flynn being handed his competitive debut and Marc McKenzie replacing Jordan Morton.

Both players did not let their boss down with Flynn recording the Fifers' first shut-out of the campaign and McKenzie netting, and posing a lot of problems for Sons with his turn of pace.

We made an impressive start to the game by pushing the sons back and Stewart pulled a shot wide before setting up the opener in eight minutes. His through ball was perfect for Marc McKenzie who evaded a tackle before slotting past the 'keeper from close in.

Dumbarton were at sixes and sevens at the back and the slick moving Cowden side were creating openings almost at will and skipper Jon Robertson doubled the advantage 11 minutes later after keeper Ewings blocked the initial effort from McKenzie the midfielder following up to score.

The Sons struggled to get in touch with Flynn but they gave themselves some hope with a 30 yarder from McKinnon which went just wide.

As the hosts tried hard to re-establish themselves Prunty had a go but Flynn gathered comfortably and Cowden continued to move the ball about sweetly and Stewart and Naismith tested Ewings.

The second period opened with Sons trying to mount a recovery but Flynn clutched couple of hopeful crosses before McKenzie's jinky run ended with a dangerous cross which Stewart just failed to reach but the third goal was just delayed.

Substitute Jordan Morton, who had replaced Naismith only seconds earlier, made it 3-0 after 68 minutes, getting on the end of a McKenzie cut-back and giving Ewings no chance.

This totally deflated Dumbarton hopes and they completely faded out of the picture and it was inevitable that another goal would come.

The scoring was completed in the 86th minute with a carbon copy goal with another subsitute, Coult, the provider this time and Scott Linton doing the needful from close in on his 100th game for the club.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC