Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 1Alloa Athletic 1

Date: 22nd August 2009 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 2nd Division Referee: Craig Charleston
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 365
Man of the Match: Brian Fairbairn

Cowden got their first point of the season thanks to Gareth Wardlaw’s first goal for the club but were denied all three points when the Wasps grabbed an equaliser with a deflected goal.

With David Hay suspended after his red card at Brechin Danny Lennon opted to field Latvian youth internationalist Arturs Vaiculis as a trialist in goals. The 19 year old, who was released by Rangers after two years at Ibrox in the summer, showed his credentials pulling off several fine saves. Also coming into the starting line up was midweek signing Craig Winter for his second Cowden debut. Paul McQuade meanwhile dropped down to the bench after taking a knock in the midweek cup defeat from Dundee.

Vaiculis had to be at his best after 13 minutes when he turned an 18 yard shot from Grant round the post for a corner. Two minutes later Fairbairn set up Wardlaw but the strikers shot from the edge of the box was too high and went over the bar.

We however broke the deadlock on the half hour mark when passed to Gareth Wardlaw (GOAL, 30 mins) who trailed the ball across the face of the Alloa box before unleashing a powerful right footed shot which flew high into the top corner of Crawford’s net.

Two minutes later Stein got clear but Buist made a good tackle before he got an opportunity to get a shot in.

Four minutes from the interval the Wasps got a fortunate equaliser when Carroll ran 15 yards before sending in a shot which was deflected for a corner. From the resulting kick by Agnew the ball fell to Andy Scott (GOAL, 41 mins) and his wicked 25 yard shot took a deflection off a defender and wrong footed Vaiculis.

Five minutes into the second half a Fairbairn corner fell at the feet of Mbu but Buist was on hand to save the day for the Wasps once more. In 67 minutes a Stein corner looked to have set up Fairbairn only a few yards out but the winger completely missed the ball and soon after Droudge headed just over from eight yards following another corner.

Alloa struggled to make an impact on the game and 13 minutes from time Adamson passed up a good opportunity when he fired high over from ten yards after being set up by Robertson. Soon after Adamson fired in a 25 yard effort which looked net bound but Crawford managed to tip the ball over the bar. As the game drew to a close Crawford once again came to his sides rescue when he denied both Wardlaw and Droudge.

Stein picked up a yellow card along with Alloa’s Brown.

Danny Lennon spoke to Blue Brazil Online after the game:

"I was delighted with the quality of football we played on Saturday. We kept possession well and created more than enough chances to win the game.

"We worked on our possession game all summer and the players have really taken it in. The link up play was excellent and the composure on the ball was pleasing.

"We were also solid at the back with Joe Mbu and Dene Droudge having their best game as a partnership.

"The bottom line though is that we failed to take our chances and win the game. But if we continue to play to that level the victories will come"

Click on the pictures to enlarge.

Alloa Athletic