Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2QOS 2

Date: 1st March 2011 Kick off: 7:45pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Crawford Allan
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 284
Man of the Match:

A goal two minutes into added time gave us a deserved point before Central Park’s lowest crowd of the season.

Despite claims that the visitors would be forced to field a weakened side due to injuries and suspensions it was a strong Queen’s XI which took to the field.

It was the visitors who took the lead after 18 minutes when a McLaren cross was headed down by Holmes and both Harris and David Weatherston both went for the ball with the former Queen’s Park man getting in first to hit the ball high past Hay.

Minutes later Holmes tested Hay and it wasn’t until the 24th minute that we got a shot on target when Campbell’s drive was blocked by Hutton and the rebound was fired in by Ramsay who was once again denied by Hutton.

We drew level however after 37 minutes when Armstrong was hauled down by Harris and Archie Campbell slotted home his second penalty for us in as many weeks.

The second half opened with Holmes sending in a 20 yard drive which was held by Hay before Harris fired wide after a neat lob from McMenamin then the striker got on the end of another McLaren cross but sent his header wide.

We gradually began to get control of the midfield and in 70 minutes Cameron found Campbell in the visitors box and he held off a challenge before firing a fierce shot which Hutton deflected with his legs over the bar for a corner.

Five minutes later Coult sent over a lovely low cross which Hutton came off his line to deal with but he lost control of the ball. Linton seemed certain to pounce in the six yard box but the 'keeper recovered to bravely smother the danger.

With ten minutes left substitute McKenzie's cross was perfect for Campbell but the striker blasted over from a good position and then seconds later he had another shot which Hutton held.

Then with five minutes left Queen's took advantage of slack marking by the home side. McLaren was again the creator and his cross was knocked over the line by Colin McMenamin from close range.

Cowden were stunned but to their credit they came racing back into the game and hemmed the Palmerston men in. Linton sent over several of his long throws which Queen's struggled to deal with and in the third minute of stoppage time Greg Stewart fired home the equaliser after Hutton and his defensive mates had left a throw to each other.

No gallery images are available for this match.