Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match


Falkirk 2Cowdenbeath FC 0

Date: 26th February 2011 Kick off: 3:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Steven Nicholls
Venue: The Falkirk Stadium Attendance: 3581
Man of the Match:

Despite a much improved performance goals in each half gave the championship chasing Bairns the three points on our second visit to the Falkirk Stadium.

Mark Baxter made a welcome return to the side and was joined by Lee Makel and Lewis Coult. Craig Winter, Greg Stewart and Kyle Miller all dropped down to the bench.

Our first chance of the game came after five minutes when Ramsay, playing against his old side sent a shot from the edge of the box high and wide of the target.

Minutes later the Bairns Higginbotham sent over a cross to Moutinho whose shot was cleared by the defence at the expense of a corner.

Finnigan was proving to be a handful for the Cowden defence and Hay saved a close range effort from the front man.

The home side eventually broke the deadlock on 20 minutes when O’Brien threaded the ball to Stuart Murdoch who fired home a low shot from 15 yards.

Minutes later we made a change with Linton replacing Adamson.

Finnigan sent in a cross on the half hour which was punched away by Hay and minutes later a head clash with Baxter saw both players receive treatment but thankfully both were able to resume play.

The lively Ramsay was then brought down 25 yards from goal but Makel’s resultant free kick went over the bar.

At the other end Flynn picked up a loose ball but fired wide of the target, while a long range effort from scorer Murdoch flew over the bar.

Higginbotham then fired wide following a cross field pass from Flynn. At the other end we had a few chances to grab an equaliser – Campbell shot just inches past the post from the edge of the box then a Linton pass was nodded down by Coult to Ramsay whose shot drifted just over the bar.

As the first half drew to a close Moutinho set up Murdoch who sent a shot from the edge of the box wide.

The second period opened with Duffie sending over a cross to Higginbotham on the edge of the Cowden box but he miscued his shot.

At the other end Mbu picked up a loose ball but saw his shot drift just wide of the target.

Ramsay then set up Campbell who was denied by the diving Olejnik. The home side then added a second goal after 55 minutes when Higginbotham fired over a cross to Ryan Flynn who fired home a low shot.

The Bairns then made a double substitution with Compton and Stewart replacing Moutinho and Flynn.

On the hour mark Linton sent over a long throw in to the Bairns box which was met by Ramsay who knocked the ball back to Coult who fired over from seven yards.

Higginbotham replied by sending a powerful shot just over at the other end and soon after he met a cross ball from Compton but saw his shot off target.

At the other end a cross from Ramsay was scooped from under the crossbar by Olejnik.

Campbell then fired the ball across the face of the home goal but Ramsay just failed to connect then Makel tested the keeper from 25 yards which was held by the custodian.

We then made two chances in a matter of minutes with Miller replacing Coult and Stewart coming on for Crawford.

Ramsay then sent over a cross which was cleared by Duffie with Miller waiting to pounce. Hay then had to be at his best to tip a dipping shot from Compton over the bar.

The Bairns then made the final chance of the afternoon with Flynn being replaced by veteran McManus.

The game then came to a close with both sides having chances of scoring with Compton sending a 20 yard curling shot wide while Stewart almost took advantage of a defensive mix up but the keeper saved his shot.

Miller was booked in the closing minute for a foul on McLean.

No gallery images are available for this match.

Cowdenbeath FC