Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

Previous Match
Next Match

Cowdenbeath FC

Cowdenbeath FC 2Dundee 1

Date: 25th September 2010 Kick off: 4:00pm
Competition: Irn-Bru 1st Division Referee: Craig Charleston
Venue: Central Park Attendance: 1154
Man of the Match: David Hay

First half goals from Mark Ramsay and Brian Fairbairn saw us record our first win over Dundee in almost 72 years. It was back in October 1938 that we last saw a win over the Dee as the great Cowden side of that era romped to the Second Division title in record breaking style.

The stars of yesteryear would have been proud of the battling display shown by their modern day counterparts as they moved into fourth place in the table.

Fairbairn was the only change in the side from the Dunfermline game with Joe Mbu sidelined with injury. There were to be further injury blows during the 90 odd minutes with both Marc McKenzie and John Armstrong being carried off while keeper David Hay, who put in another fine display to secure the points, ended the day with a suspected broken nose.

Cowden opened the game well and took the lead after 14 minutes when a Dempster shot was blocked by McKeown and Mark Ramsay followed up to slot the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the Dee net from the edge of the box.

The visitors tried to respond and a Harkins header following a Higgins corner was cleared off the line by Linton.

The first injury blow of the afternoon came on 25 minutes when McKenzie was carried off following a tough challenge to be replaced by Ferguson who with his first touch of the ball was set up by Cameron but saw his shot go just wide of the post.

Dundee offered little in scoring chances in the remainder of the opening period with only two long range free kicks from Griffiths which were well saved by Hay.

As the game headed towards the break we went two up in spectacular style when Dempster was fouled 30 yards out in 43 minutes Brian Fairbairn stepped up to send a tremendous low curing free kick past former Scotland keeper Douglas.

Dundee made two changes at the break in an effort to get back into the game with McManamin and O’Donnell taking over from Musan and Kuqi.

Hay done well to hold a Harkins header while soon after Baxter also denied the forward when he cleared another header off the line following a McMenamin cross.

An accidental collision with Harkins then saw the game stopped for several minutes as Hay received treatment.

Midway through the half Hay made a fine stop from an Irvine header and soon after he blocked a McMenamin effort with his legs.

Armstrong then became the second Cowden player of the afternoon to leave the pitch via a stretcher and with nine minutes remaining Dundee finally broke the home rearguard when Leigh Griffiths fired a left foot shot past Hay.

Three minutes later Griffiths then saw an effort come back off the crossbar but at the other end sub Stewart shot just wide after a good build up from Linton and Ramsay.

Referee Charleston added five minutes on to compensate for the injuries but Cowden ran down the clock to record a memorable victory.

No gallery images are available for this match.