Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2016/17 Season News


Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print


PostedAugust 14, 2016

Saturday 13th August, Ladbrokes League Two, Match No 2, Att 516.

After coming back from 3-1 down to level the score we were hit by a late goal to deny us a point.
The Loons were the first to come close to breaking the deadlock after 15 minutes when a 17 yard shot from Lister crashed off the underside of the crossbar.
It was however Cowden who opened the scoring just two minutes later when Greg Ross cut the ball back from the touchline into the path of Craig SIVES who looped the ball high into the net from seven yards.
A dramatic opening continued as a two goals in a four minute spell saw Forfar go 2-1 up. In 20 minutes a corner from Peters was headed home by Jim LISTER then Danny DENHOLM fired a 22 yard free kick into the top left hand corner.
Six minutes into the second half things got worse for us as Josh PETERS picked up a pass from O’Brien and beat three defenders before slotting in a low shot from the edge of the box via the post.
As we looked to get back into the game a Mullen corner fell to Todorov but his header was cleared off the line by a Loons defender and as the home side failed to clear their lines the ball eventually fell to Turner who saw his close range shot come off the post.
However just short of the hour we pulled a goal back when Nikolay TODOROV got on the end of a Mullen cross to head home from six yards.
With 20 minutes to go we were almost back level when Brett picked up the ball midway in the Forfar half and after a one-two with Todorov he beat two defenders but saw his final shot come off the upright.
The equaliser did however come in the 80th minute when Lewis MOORE fired a curling shot high into the top corner of the Loons net from 17 yards.
Just as it looked like we had salvaged our first point of the campaign with three minutes remaining we failed to clear the ball in the aftermath of a corner and the ball was picked up by Gavin SWANKIE who fired home from just inside the box.
In the dying seconds of the game McGurn pulled off a fine double save from Smith and Lister to deny the home side a fifth goal.
TEAM: McGurn, Mullen, G Ross, Sives, Rutherford, Brett, B Ross, Turner, Moore, Glen & Todorov (Johnston 89). Subs not used –Sneddon, Miller, O’Brien, Robertson, Creaney & Swann.
Goals: Sives (17), Todorov (59), Moore (80).
Booked: Todorov (48), G Ross (56), Mullen (67).
FORFAR ATHLETIC: Adam, MacKinnon, Bain, Munro, Malcolm, O’Brien, Peters (Scott 72), Milne (Smith 85), Lister, Swankie & Denholm. Subs not used – Hill, Fotheringham, Kennedy,Hay & Aitken.
Goals: Lister (20), Denholm (24), Peters (51), Swankie (87).
Booked: Peters (57), Lister (68).
REFEREE: Craig Charleston.
Facebook Twitter