Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2013/14 Season News

Disappointing Loss At Home

Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print

Disappointing Loss At Home

PostedJanuary 13, 2014


It proved to be another frustrating 90 minutes at Central Park on Saturday afternoon as we went down to our fifth successive home defeat in the Championship.
Referee Mat Northcroft passed the Central Park pitch playable just an hour before kick off after concerns about hard patches on the terracing side touchline but after work by the ground staff, directors and youth players, the official game the game the go ahead.
There was one change to the starting line up which had won at Alloa with new signing David Gold going into the side to take over from the injured Lewis Milne, while youngster Shaun Hunter was on the bench as back up keeper following the midweek departure of Grant Adam.
Things started brightly and we took the lead after only 3 minutes when a clearance from Sons keeper Stephen Grindlay was blocked by Jamie Stevenson and he slotted the ball to Kyle Miller to tap home his second goal of the season.
The joy was short lived however as the visitors equalised within two minutes when Colin Nish fired home a low shot from 12 yards. Soon after we almost regained our lead but Jon Robertson's effort was cleared off the line by Chris Turner.
It was the Sons who were to score again in 21 minutes when Mitch Megginson broke through, and after beating Thomas O'Brien, slotted the ball past Flynn.
The dramatic first half continued and five minutes later we were back on level terms when Grindlay fumbled a Hemmings cross and Jamie Stevenson fired home our equaliser.
Five minutes into the second half Dumbarton regained their lead when Chris Kane scored for the second successive game when after Flynn palmed away his initial effort the ball was put across the face of goal by Gilhaney for the St Johnstone loanee to tap the ball into the empty net.
Jamie Stevenson was then unlucky to see a free kick crash off the visitors crossbar as we looked to get back on level terms but with eight minutes to go we were caught out as the visitors wrapped up the game with a fourth goal when Megginson tapped home from close range after being set up by Gilhaney.
The result now leaves us seven points behind 8th place Queen of the South and eight ahead of bottom side Morton who drew 0-0 with Raith Rovers at Cappielow.
Next up for Jimmy Nicholl's side is a visit from Falkirk next Saturday.
Prior to kick off there was a well observed one minute silence in honour of the late Stuart Juner with many former Cowden players from the past visiting Central Park to pay their respects.
REPORTER: Andrew Mullen.
Facebook Twitter