Welcome to Cowdenbeath F.C. - Contact Us

2013/14 Season News

Huge Three Points Away To Dundee

Click to Decrease Text Size Click to Enlarge Text Size Print

Huge Three Points Away To Dundee

PostedDecember 16, 2013


Second half goals from Kane Hemmings and sub Jordan Morton saw us defy the odds to beat a Dundee side who had started the match as Championship leaders.

Jimmy Nicholl had a depleted squad as he headed north for his second game in charge of the side with Jamie Stevenson and Marc McKenzie side lined with injuries, however skipper John Armstrong recovered from his shoulder injury to take his place in the line up.

Indeed the new gaffer was only able to list 6 players on the bench with young Ben Anthony promoted to the first team squad after bagging 14 goals for the under 19s this season.

Dens Park has never been a happy hunting ground for us with our 2 previous wins there coming in our golden era of the 1920s/30s with our last win at the famous old ground coming on 31st October 1931 when we ran out 4-0 winners in a First Division fixture.

Hemmings had a great opportunity to open the scoring after 22 minutes when we were awarded a penalty following a hand ball but keeper Kyle Letheren dived the right way to stop his low spot kick.

After a goal less first half played in the driving wind and rain Kyle Miller saw a header come off the bar 3 minutes into the second half but we didn't have to wait long for Hemmings to bag his 13th goal of the season a couple of minutes later.

Cowden fans would have been forgiven for thinking the worst when Jim McAllister fired home an equaliser for the Dee midway through the second period but Morton, who had replaced the injured Jon Robertson, took only 6 minutes to slot home what proved to be a memorable winner in 69 minutes much to the joy of the small band of visiting fans in the 3533 crowd.

The win see's us move 5 points clear of bottom side Morton who lost 2-0 at Alloa while we are now just 4 points behind both QOS and Dumbarton who lost 2-1 at Raith Rovers.

Next up for Jimmy Nicholl's side is the short trip to his old stomping ground of Starks Park for the final derby game of 2013 against Raith Rovers.

Report: Andrew Mullen.


Facebook Twitter